2012-11-11

Sundays with Soledad


Soledad O’Brien, wakes up early to host CNN’s morning program “Starting Point With Soledad O’Brien,”  so Sundays are a time to relax at her country house in Dutchess County, N.Y.

Here is some insight into her Sunday - full article at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/


I get up at 2:15 during the week. Sundays I sleep until 6, which I know is not sleeping in for most people, but it’s pretty late for me.

We usually grab breakfast at a Dutchess County place, a mom-and-pop-type restaurant. A place called Karen’s is a good one.

I just adopted an old racehorse from a great place called Akindale Thoroughbred Rescue. She is 4, and her name is Sedona. They have about 150 racehorses that they’ve rescued from the track. So usually I go riding at some point in the morning or afternoon, depending on what kind of day it is.

I’ve been riding my whole life, though I had stopped from college onward till about 35 or 40. When my daughters turned about 5, I got them riding so I could ride again.  After that, we go to a dairy farm for ice cream.

Often Sunday afternoons we’ll do a board call or a staff call for a foundation that I run, because my day is so busy during the week. It’s called the Soledad O’Brien and Brad Raymond Foundation. We send girls to and through college. They get a mentor; we pay for their books and tuition. We have 12 scholars, and we’re going up to 20 this year.

Then about 5 I start to get really into the show, mapping out what it’s going to look like. Then I start studying. My Sunday evenings are really quite busy.

 I usually try to be in bed by 8:30. Nine o’clock is on the late side for me.



No comments: