2010-10-06

Almighty Debt Is Latest Black in America Documentary


In another Black in America special, "Almighty Debt," CNN's Soledad O'Brien explores how some people are fighting debt from the pulpit.

In this third year of Black in America, the CNN team focuses on the role of the church. During segregation it functioned as an extended family and provided leadership, vision and manpower for the movement that literally reshaped America. But what is the role of the modern black church? How does the black church survive in this challenging landscape? And is it helping blacks through the worst financial crisis since the Depression?

This latest installment will air October 21.

From 2009: Black in America: Solutions
2008: BIA: The Black Woman and Family


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fighting debt from the pulpit??? My former pastor tried to convince me that I should tithe 10% instead of paying my mortgage...said I would be showered with blessings...I left that church as was showered with the extra $50 a week I had been donating to the church. Hallelujah!

Anonymous said...

Fighting debt from the pulpit??? The pulpit is one of the reasons so many African Americans are in debt. I wonder how many homes went into foreclosure from people who chose tithing over paying their mortgage. When I told my my former pastor that I was unable to pay my mortage and tithe 10% of my salary, my former pastor and the first lady of the church tried to convince me to tithe anyway...When I asked, "Are you telling me not to pay my mortgage"??...The response they gave me was, "try it, you'll be showered with blessings". I left that church and I as showered with the extra $50 a week I had been donating to the church. Hallelujah!