2017-07-17

Remembering Loved Ones Who Have Passed


Allison Gilbert is the author of several books, including Passed and Present: Keeping Memories of Loved Ones Alive and she spoke with Soledad O'Brien for the Huffington Post about why remembering loved ones is so important.

Soledad told about one memento that reminds her of her Cuban grandparents:

I have this great photo of my grandparents in the 1940’s at a famous hotel in Cuba called La Floridita. My grandfather used to tell people that he helped create La Floridita. It has always been one of my favorite pictures. I keep it in a small album in my room.
My life’s work has been to share real stories with real people. Naturally when it comes to loved ones I have lost, my favorite way to remember them is to share stories about them. 
Everyone deals with loss differently, but it is a part of life. It’s something we all have to deal with at some point or another. I have not let loss derail my positive energy, but rather, I try to keep my chin up and think of all of the wonderful memories we shared. The lessons I learned from them, and what that person brought into my life, are all far more valuable to me than the sadness I feel because they’re gone.

Soledad's mother and grandmother in Cuba, 1944


No comments: