2010-07-13

Soledad O'Brien and Her Daughter in Haiti

Soledad O'Brien coninues to tell the stories of Haiti. Last night she guest-hosted Larry King Live with a show on Haiti 6 months later.

CNN has posted an excerpt from her upcoming book. The excerpt focuses on a trip to Haiti she made a few weeks ago with her daughter Sofia.


Here is the opening of the excerpt from Soledad O'Brien's upcoming book, The Next Big Story.
(CNN)  I returned to Haiti in mid June, over a month after having produced a documentary called Rescued on two children whose precarious lives depend on an orphanage run by American Christian missionaries. I don't have another story to report. I just want to go back. I am haunted by these kids. Cendy Juene is just 6 and she has no one person in the world caring for her, just the kindness of the staff at the Light House orphanage. Mark Kenson Olibris, the caretaker at the orphanage, is a young man who has grew up there and now promises he will help rebuild Haiti. They are so resilient, so inspiring, they leave me wanting to know how life is unfolding in their shaky circumstances. I decide to take my oldest daughter Sofia who is nine. She looks totally thrilled we are going together. So am I. I see this as an opportunity to share with her a major lesson I have learned from my time in Haiti. That one person can change the world, if only by changing a piece of it.

She takes a breath when we land, not from the jolt of the plane, but out of pure excitement. I am so happy to be taking this trip with her. The people in the plane clap and so does she too. I love the sight of her...

Continue reading at edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/07/12/soledad.obrien.haiti

The Next Big Story: My Journey Through the Land of Possibilities 

No comments: