2009-02-13

O'Brien Speaks At Harvard Black & Crimson Banquet

Soledad O’Brien, Harvard class of 1988, gave the keynote talk at the 4th Annual BSA Crimson & Black Banquet on February 6th.

As one of the largest student organizations on Harvard's campus, the Harvard Black Students Association strives to enhance the experience of all Harvard students, but in particular black students.

O'Brien is the host for the CNN Special Investigations Unit and anchored the 2008 CNN special, “Black in America.” Of Afro-Cuban descent, O’Brien is a member of both the National Association of Black Journalists and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.

Prior to her keynote address at the Black & Crimson Banquet, Harvard Crimson staff writer Courtney P. Yadoo spoke with Soledad by phone about her undergraduate years at Harvard.

Excerpt:

Roland Fryer, a professor at Harvard, has become a very good friend of mine. I’m a big fan of his work. I probably spend more time, as a grown-up alum, thinking about courses and coursework because a lot of stories come right from Harvard professors.

I did a lot of sports and intramurals. I played on the rugby team. I did a lot of work in the government of my House. I did a lot of public service. I never felt you could define who I was with one word.

No comments: